This research work is aim at examining the problem of solid waste management in brewery industry in Enugu state.
The research choose the random sampling Technique based on the population concentration from three (3) location within the study area.
The data obtained were analysed using percentage statistics method. From the analysis of data and discussion the practices in the use include open dumps and open burning which indicate poor management.
To ensure proper management the researcher recommended that government should device new and appropriate strategies in solid waste management that involves on the spot separation for possible recycling, through supervision of authorities involved in the waste management and grass roof campaign to ensure strict adherence to the rules guiding waste management. With the above recommendation waste and the health implication of improper management becomes a thing of the past.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
- Statement of the Problem
- Purpose of the Study
- Research Question I
- Significance of the Study
- Scope of the Study
- Limitation of the Study
- Literature Review
- Concept of Solid Waste
- Source and Types of Solid Waste
- Waste Minimization and Treatment
- Solid Waste Management Practices
- Resources Recovery
- Disposal Techniques
CHAPTER THREE: RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- Research Design
- Population Sample
- Refused Site Selection
- Sources of Data
- Instrument for Data Collection
- Validity and Reliability of Instrument
- Method of Data Analysis
- Analysis of Management and Fiscal Problems of Waste Management
- Solutions to Above Problems
- Discussion and Findings
- Implications for Environmental Management
Background of the study
Refuse generation started with the history of man and gained more attention when man began to live in communities. During the 1st century with industrial revolution rapid population growth in the develop world and the volume of waste produce was relatively small. Today in developing nations, like, Nigeria, solid waste accumulate in every city causing serious health and environmental hazard.
The practice of dumping waste on streets, roads, streets and unapproved sites lead to breeding to rats, flies and out break of plagues as well as ecological impacts, such as water and air pollution. This is because the capacity of nature to dilute, disperse or absorb or dispose of its unwanted residues in the atmosphere, water way and land is limited. It is against this background that the Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA) was established in 1988 manage and protect the environment. The decree establishing the agency also provided for the establishment of State Environment Protection Agencies (SEPA) in all the States of Federation.
However, the prevailing economic condition in the country coupled with negative attitude of the citizens made it difficult for proper solid waste management and environmental protection solid waste consists of biodegradable (that is substance that can be broken down by bacteria) and non biodegradable (that is substance that cannot be broken by bacteria) materials and these are usually deposited at refuse dumps and other unapproved sites. They pile up in heaps blocking road and drainage, road, network thereby consisting environmental hazards. The inhabitants of the neighborhood sometimes set the heaps of refuse ablaze in an attempt to reduce the size. This practice further deteriorate the environment since people are exposed to danger of air pollution.
- STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Changes in Technology brings about changes in the consumption habit of the citizenry and therefore the composition of waste materials.
Thus a lot of non-biodegradable waste (that is substance that cannot be broken by bacteria) are generated and since non-biodegradable are not easily absorbed or diluted naturally such waste accumulate in heaps along major streets. The stinking odour and blackish liquid effluence emanating from such heaps especially during the rainy season constitute environmental hazards and degrade the aesthetic values of our environment.
They as well encourage breeding of mosquitoes and communicable diseases. Therefore the rate of generation of solid waste is not matched with the rate of evacuation as a result of problems ranging from lack of funds and professional experience staffs of bureaucracy and redtapism.
- PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to
- To determine the composition of solid waste in Amma brewery
- To examine the different management strategies being adopted in solid waste management by the brewery as well as ENSEPA. Enugu State environmental Protection Agencies.
- To identify problem militating against solid waste management in amma breweries in Enugu.
- To suggest appropriate and effective measures that will ensure efficient solid waste management in the organization
- RESEARCH QUESTIONS
In an attempt to identify the approaches and problems of solid waste management in Amma brewery with a view of finding appropriate management strategies, the following research questions were formulated:
- What are the major components of solid waste generated in Amma brewery
- To what extent does the composition of waste influence the management practices?
- What are the reasons for the inadequate as well as inefficient collection and disposal of solid waste by (ENSEPA).
- What measure are likely to improve the existing situation constraints or management techniques.
- What is the level of public awareness of poor solid waste management.
In order to ascertain the opinion of the public on the major constraints of solid waste management in. Amma brewery the following hypothesis are formulated.
HO The opinion of ENSEPA staff and the general public indicate and lack of management personnel that militate against proper solid waste management in the brewery.
Hi The opinion of (ENSEPA) staff and the general public indicate that it is the problem of equipment, fund and lack of management personnel that militate against proper solid waste management in the brewery.
- SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The finding of this study will be of great significance to both the management and staff and indeed, every body that has a stake in the affairs and proceedings of the brewery
This is because the recommendation of this study will prefer sustainable solid waste management strategies. Moreover, the study will go along ways in revealing to industrialists, the practical ways to minimize waste recycling.
Finally, the out come of this research will be an asset to environmental researcher and planners for effective planning and management of solid waste.
- SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The consequences and various types of waste are of global significance but the research decided to limit the study to.
- The nature of solid waste generation and problems in Amma brewery in Enugu.
- Testing the level of awareness and review of the activities of the (ENSEPA) in solving the problem of solid waste in the brewery.
- The possible measures to improve the management techniques in the area.
- LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
This study is constrained by limited time and financial resources. Other limitation includes lack of immediate reply to, the research questionnaire, but all these were soon overcome with perseverance.