The concept of local government is deeply rooted in out national heritage. Small communities were the beginnings of the United States. Throughout history Americans have maintained strong support for local self-government, while remaining largely uniformed about what local government is, how it is funded, and how it impacts their lives. Local governments can be more responsive to citizens than state and federal government, but the limitations are that local units need the cooperation of other entities to deal effectively with bigger issues such as transportation and pollution. Local government can be described as some government bodies elected by the people that have administrative, legislative and executive functions on the territories under their jurisdiction. Local government is the government of difference, responding to different needs, and realizing different aspirations. “There must be a definite power to do things in a different manner from that followed in other areas within the same of state area. If some local body has it in its power to govern in a different manner from other local bodies, there we have Local Government.
The concept local government
- Local government is door step government to the local people.
- Local government is responsible towards the local people.
- Local government is democratic and promotes democratization.
- Local government is multi-dimensional phenomena.
- Local government is basically an organization as a social entity with feeling of oneness.
- Local government is the system of government
- Local governance and decentralization are interrelated.
- The system of local governance indicates that system of government which promotes the people’s participation in each and every activity of government.
- The aim of local governance is to empower local people and it ensures the citizen participation into the governing system of local government.
- It creates an environment for healthy growth of political parties and helps to produce the capable and experienced future leaders at local level
- Under democratic regime, people’s participation is help to solve diverse types of local problems.
- Promotes the national integration, creates sense of belongingness and help to solve verities of local issues such as poverty, underdevelopment, condition of exploitation.
- Local self-government denotes right and the ability of local authorities within the limits of law, to regulate and manage a substantial share of public affairs under their own responsibilities and the interest of local population.